The Next Door was aided by hundreds of volunteers last year.
We offer a variety of opportunities to serve children, families and communities, and we welcome your involvement. Ask for more info about how to help using our Feedback Form to the right or download and email our Volunteer and Intern Application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Current opportunities:
Volunteer Coordinator: help place volunteers in positions that will feed their spirits.
- Receptionist-Administrative Assistant: Once a week, spend a morning at the front desk in Hood River.
- Alumni Detective: be trained to search for, and find, former employees and clients and family members of foster children.
- Help with basic office tasks.
- Reorganize a storage area.
- Help organize our ever-changing “Children’s Closet” in The Dalles as new donations arrive.
- Mentor a child or teen in our behavioral rehabilitation programs. Most of our kids have a history of trauma, and some have ADHD, trust issues, attachment issues, serious mental health challenges, etc. We always have boys and girls waiting. Just once a week, hang out with our kids for an hour or so, playing basketball, cooking, going to the gym or any wholesome activity. All the kids require very good supervision.
- Mentor a young person through Big Brothers Big Sisters or Mentor for Success.
- Shampoo carpets, paint offices, make and plant flower boxes, and weed around the building in The Dalles.
- Become a leadership volunteer by joining a Board Committee or an Advisory Board. We especially need former or current program participants, people of color, and LGBT board volunteers on fundraising or finance committees, Big Brothers Big Sisters Advisory Board, Nuestra Comunidad Sana Advisory Committee, or one of our parenting committees.
- Sponsor a teenager in Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous.
- Offer your professional services, whether web design, graphic design, fundraising, accounting, nutrition or ______?
- Host a table at our annual Families First or New Parent Services events, or captain a bowling team at Bowl for Kids’ Sakes.